Saturday, March 30, 2013

Suicide and chronic pain

I don't fiend over the stats on my blog like some people do, but I do check them occasionally, and I've noticed a lot of people end up here after "googling" chronic pain and suicide.  Yes, my stats can tell me that, and it is quite disturbing to me.  I sort of feel like I have a responsibility to have something here that is helpful for people in chronic pain who are thinking of taking that step.

I want you to know, there are enough good days to make it worth it, if you can find the right doctor or team of doctors to treat your pain condition.  I understand what it feels like to be so tired of being in pain I don't think I can make it another day.  But I didn't give in to those thoughts, and I have a much better quality of life today than I did then.  And I still have those thoughts at times, but I know that my intense pain episodes will end, and I can have a few good days, or weeks, or even months at a time.

If you are thinking of harming yourself because you are in constant pain, please wait until you can see your doctor before making such a drastic decision.  A person in chronic pain truly is not in a condition to make such profound decisions when in an acute pain episode.  You literally can't think clearly and shouldn't make any major life decisions during this time.  First of all, don't harm yourself.  Next call someone and tell them you are thinking of taking your life.  Preferably a local or national suicide hotline, your physician, or psychologist, or even just a friend if you can't tell anyone else.

One of the things I always think about is the fact that when a person commits suicide, their children are more than twice as likely to take their own lives also.  I just couldn't do this to my children, whom I love dearly, and I don't want you to do this either.  If you don't have children, think about the impact your decision will make on everyone that knows you.  Please visit the suicide hotlines page HERE if you are still thinking of suicide or harming yourself in any way.  You will find national numbers where you can talk to a professional about the issues you are having.

Please feel free to post your feelings and experiences in the comments here on this page.  Sometimes, seeing your thoughts written down can make them real to you and perhaps help you to feel more comfortable calling a hotline number.  

No comments:

Post a Comment